Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Flat tires, empty pockets

I left for the Lima airport this morning at 3:45am in a taxi that quite unfortunately got a flat tire on the way. Fortunately the driver was a fast tire changer and I still made it on time - but once I got to the airport I was out of cash and had to pay the exit tax AND extra money because I had been careless and said I was staying for 30 days (on my little form at the beginning of the trip), when I ended up staying 37. When the uniformed man told me I wouldn't be able to leave without paying, I spilled ALL of my extra sol coins out on the table and said (trying not to cry): this is all I have... Please can I go home now! OK, so it is not all I have, obviously, but I did NOT want to go back to the cash machine AGAIN. He showed mercy and told me what I had was enough.

I am in Atlanta now and ... I can't. Wait. To go. Home!!!

More photos to come on flickr of the end of our trip: Pisco, Islas Ballenas, and the final dinner with our group... once I catch my breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that is one way to get out of paying bribes and outrageous fees. Not the best exit of Peru, but perhaps it is a sign you will definitely need to go back one day to reverse that last impression!
Bienvenidos a tu casa! (Okay, I wanted to say welcome home but I couldn't figure out the right word for home. There were simply too many in the dictionary!)